The Following Are Five Times Singer Tems Made Music Industry History
Singer Temilade Openiyi, better known by her stage name Tems, hails from Nigeria and on Sunday night in Los Angeles, she won her first Grammy.
The vocalist has made significant contributions to the music industry both domestically and abroad.
The PUNCH lists five occasions where Tems changed the course of music.
- The singer became the first female Nigerian artiste to win a Grammy award as she won the ‘Best Melodic Rap Performance’ category on Sunday night for her role in ‘Wait for U’, the 2022 hit song by Future featuring Drake.
- She became the first Nigerian artist to receive an Oscar nomination for her contribution to Rihanna’s ‘Lift Me Up’, a track recorded for the movie ‘Wakanda Forever’.
- Tems also made history as the first Nigerian and African female musician to win the Best International Act at the BET Awards in 2022.
- The Essence crooner made history as the first Nigerian artist to debut No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with her feature on Future’s Wait For U in 2022.
- With the single ‘Free Mind’, Tems made history as the first female artist to debut at No.1 on the Billboard US Afrobeat song charts with no feature in 2022.